Sunday, November 29, 2009

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We (meaning me) decided to help out serving the needy this year. Everyone else in the house was simply overjoyed at the thought-sniff,sniff, does anyone else smell sarcasm?

My friend Sheila's son has a restaurant in Tyler and he thought it would be a good idea to open the doors to those who might not otherwise celebrate. I thought that was pretty selfless. It's a cute little place, and I've heard nothing but good about the food since it opened.

We arrived promptly at 10:30 and met Sheila's family, looked around, and waited for the doors to open. The news crew arrived and Hank (the owner) was tickled to death about that. Since it was early and no one had shown up yet, the news crew did interviews. They interviewed Hank, myself, and Cody.

That night on the news they showed the "interviews". Our 2 minute interviews were cut down to a 5 second sound bite. I was made to look like one of the needy, and Cody's only statement was "I love stuffing".

Lovely.

Not many people showed up, the boys were bored to tears and AJ pouted about there not being any food he liked until Hank made him a burger. Yep. WE all learned valuable lessons. Aj learned that pouting to strangers works, Cody learned that comments to news crews like " this was all my Mom's idea, it it was up to me I would at home playing X-box" mortifies his mother. I myself learned to run like hell when camers show up! Lest I resemble the homeless again.

In fact, the only person to improve was Mr. Plantfreak...he called his mother and his oldest daughter on the same day without my nagging. I don't think that has ever happened before.

Like I said, "No good deed..."

No comments: